This week I found out my department choice and I was very happy to be given my first choice – the Space Applications department.
Space Applications is a very topical subject in the UK at the moment as “two new centres [are] to drive UK space activity“.
For one, we have just announced a new European Space Agency (ESA) centre on the Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, near Oxford. This technical centre is to be known as the European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunicationss (ECSAT).
The second is the Satellite Applications Catapult Centre, one of seven new initiatives by the UK Government to drive innovation and growth in the British economy.
Key areas of focus in my studies in the space applications department will include:
- Satellite communication systems and services
- Remote sensing and Earth observation
- Geographic information systems (GIS)
- Satellite navigation systems
I will also gain experience with workshops and demonstrations to provide me with hands-on training with hardware and software for satellite payload development, image processing (optical, radar), GPS, and data analysis.
I am particularly looking forward to the professional visits to local facilities which will give me further insight into space applications. These include:
- Meteo-France North-East Regional Office, Strasbourg
- Institut Pluridiscipline Hubert Curien (IPHC) Department of Ecology, Physiology and Ethology (DEPE), Strasbourg
- Satellite Telecommunications (SES) headquarters, Luxembourg
- Upper Rhine Valley, Mooswald, Germany
- Schauinsland Mountain, Black Forest, Germany
- ESA’s European Space Operations Centre (ESOC), Darmstadt
- EUMETSAT (European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites
- Strasbourg Observatory
- ISU Ground Station
I hope to take home my experience from this department and apply this in my future career.
For further information visit:
- “Two new centres to drive UK space activity” (BBC News) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22524233
- European Space Agency (ESA) ECSAT http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Welcome_to_ESA/ECSAT
- Satellite Applications Catapult Centre: https://sa.catapult.org.uk/